Contrary to popular belief, growing a beard requires quite a bit of upkeep—it’s more than just forsaking your razor and shaving cream! Having a full-grown beard in a way that looks good requires patience, a few beard products, and careful maintenance.
To maintain that glorious mane, you will need to work at it every day. But before we go into the specifics, we need to discuss the tools of the trade.
- Beard Brush - A high-quality brush made from 100% boar bristles is excellent at straightening and detangling hair while also getting rid of dead skin.
- Beard Comb - A pearwood comb specifically designed for men’s beards are used to shape the beard. Like the brush, it’s used to untangle your hair and prevent split ends in the long run—but is best used for shaping.
- Beard Shampoo and Conditioner - Normal shampoo or soap has the tendency to dry out your skin, which makes it unsuitable for your beard. To avoid this, get a beard shampoo and conditioner that is formulated to hydrate your beard, preventing irritation and beard dandruff.
- Beard Oil - After showering, you can help your beard stay fuller and tamer by applying beard oils. Oftentimes, beard oils can also promote beard growth.
- Beard Balm - Like oils, balm serves to moisturise your beard, but has the added benefit of holding your beard in place. If you find that your beard is naturally unruly, a beard balm will help you keep it in place.
With the above tools at the ready, you should be able to keep your beard in good shape. Aside from the tools, you will also need to form a conscious habit of taking care of your beard.
Here are three essential habits on how to maintain a healthy beard.
1. Keep your mouth clean
Beard hygiene cannot be separated from the rest of your other hygienic practices. Aside from washing your beard during the shower, you should also clean it after every meal by careful combing or brushing.
Nothing throws away months of hard work than looking at a beard that’s littered with dirt and food particles. Through regular combing and brushing, you’re not only keeping your beard clean, but you are also training your beard to grow in the direction that you want.
2. Don’t forget to moisturize
LIke the head on your hair, your beard needs to be cleaned. However, since your face is much more sensitive than your scalp, you will need a gentler cleaning agent to prevent irritation and the dreaded “beardruff.”
While showering, your beard will benefit from specialised beard shampoo and conditioners that clean your beard without removing all the needed oils to keep it moisturized. Afterwards, don’t forget to apply oil or balm to your beard for added protection and fragrance.
3. Shape it every day
While it’s true that genetics can make it easier for some people to grow a glorious beard, it’s not the be-all-end-all of beard growing. It will take a bit more effort, but it can be done.
With your beard comb and balm, style your beard as often as you can to encourage it to take your desired shape.
Great looking beards are made, not born. While some people may grow beards faster than others, it will not look great without healthy habits and maintenance. By following these healthy beard tips, you are well on your way to sporting a well-groomed beard that your friends will envy.
Jericho Australia is your top source of beard care products in Australia. Our wide selection of beard care products is locally-sourced and cruelty-free. Order over $50 worth of beard products today and get free shipping anywhere in Australia!